- Hernias around the umbilicus
- Due to defect in the muscle around the umbilicus
- Common in babies and can resolve spontaneously
- Can also occur in older adults (and behave just like other hernias)
- This is simply a hernia in the epigastric area (upper abdomen)
- Behave just like other hernias
- Through abdominal wall between lateral border of rectus abdominis and linea semilunaris.
- Through spigelian fascia (aponeurotic layer)
- Diagnosed by ultrasound.
- Often difficult to distinguish from inguinal hernias when low
- May lead to obstruction or strangulation.